Sunday, August 16, 2009

One More Thing I Hate About the Suburbs. . .

5. Play Dates

When I was a kid, you walked out of your house after school if you didn't feel like watching television or reading, and you played with whoever was outside. If no one was--but there usually was--you might walk up a friend's front steps, knock on the door, and ask if he could come out.

Now, living in the suburbs, I have to call or e-mail the parents of my son's friends to set up times when they can get together. I understand why it's that way--kids make friends in school, and their friends don't always live nearby.

Whenever I go to pick up the telephone, though, I start to feel the butterflies I did, oh so many years ago when I was single and calling to ask
someone out on a date. I'm doing it for someone else now, but it still doesn't make it any easier.

Which makes me glad my kid's learning how to use the phone.

No comments: