Monday, February 1, 2010

Another Draft Finished. . .

I knew it'd been a while since I'd written here, but I didn't know it was this long. . .

It wasn't an oversight, however: It was deliberate. In September, I decided that, apart from letters, I wasn't going to write anything else while I worked on the revision of my novel. I finished last week, and took the manuscript to the post office this morning.

Last year ended with some good news. On Dec. 29,
my story, "A Few Good Men," which first appeared in Stress City: A Big Book of Fiction by 51 DC Guys, was published in Best African American Fiction 2010, from One World/Ballantine.

I haven't seen many reviews, but there was this mention in Library Journal. Here's hoping it's a harbinger of good things to come in 2010!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Congratulations! I'm so envious. If I could leave the world of high school English for the life of a professional writer, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Who am I kidding? I'd miss the glitz and glamour. :)

I'm looking forward to reading that anthology and sharing it with students who crave African American writers.

David Garrett said...

Dear Rachel: Thanks for the kind words. I hope you like the story. As for being a professional writer: Well, it's a good thing my wife's a lawyer. Otherwise we'd be living in a cardboard box by the freeway!